Monday, October 17, 2011

A to Z Movies: A Lot Like Love

I know we've been slacking lately. This fall has proven to be extraordinarily busy! Especially considering I am not in school anymore... at least Kimmy has classes to blame for her crazy schedule! I really want to get back in the grove of semi-regular blog posts, so here is a lovely recommendation for the film A Lot Like Love.

About 5 years ago I was walking through Blockbuster (a place where people used to go for movie rentals before all of this "on demand"/"netflix" business) looking for a way to fill my lonely evening with something wonderful. I came across the cover for A Lot Like Love. It was Ashton Kutcher and Amanda Peet just being adorable. I had never heard of it, but I had to rent it!

from tumblr
The movie tells the story of the relationship between Oliver (Ashton Kutcher) and Emily (Amanda Peet). They meet on an airplane ride from LA to New York and spend some time together goofing around in the big apple. After their NY fun, they go their separate ways. They could've forgotten about each other. For a while, in fact, they did, but a mix of serendipity, attraction, and curiosity brought them together time and time again over a period of seven years.

I love so much about this film. The characters are so loveable and real. Their humanity is portrayed very well through the movie through some amazing writing. This is truly my favorite type of movie to watch, because the writer (Colin Patrick Lynch) entices me with a storyline that makes it seem that  people could be out in the world living this film as their reality. I am so in love with the aesthetics of the film, as well. Every scene has visually stimulating angles, colors, and objects, making it impossible to turn away from the screen.

Five years ago, while I watched A Lot Like Love, I cracked up and I teared up. I was completely satisfied with my impromptu choice. I was hoping to watch a movie that made me feel a little bit of everything, and that is exactly what I got. Go buy it right now! I promise its worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment