Sunday, September 11, 2011

11 year olds perspective on 9/11


"Today something horrible happened in New York, and Washington DC. Some tourist high jacked America's planes and ran them into the World Trade Center and Pentagon. The World Trade Center collasped and turned to dust. A lot of peopled died. A plane also crashed in Pittsburgh. It was suppose to hit the White House but the people fought the hijackers to try and stop them. and they did. I don't know why this happening but I am scared :( God Bless America."
This quote is my from childhood diary. I was 11 years old on September 11th 2001. I was sitting in my 6th grade geography class working on a project when one of my teachers knocked on the door. My geography teacher opened the door and was greeted by a language arts teacher who always had a grin on his face, however on this particular Tuesday morning he wasn't smiling. He had a grim look on his face. My teachers smile shifted to a frown, she nodded her head at our language arts teacher and walked over to the TV. She turned the TV on and said "Students, something historical is happening in our nation." All of my classmates and myself turned our bodies towards the TV. "The World Trade Center has been hit a plane."said the news reporter. everyone in my classroom began to whisper. One student asked "what does this me--?" but before he could finish his sentence everyone went silent. "OH MY GOD ANOTHER PLANE JUST HIT THE SOUTH TOWER." the news reporter yelled. "This was not an accident, WE ARE UNDER ATTACK." under attack I thought to myself? What does that mean? Who is attacking us? Why are they attacking us? are they going to attack Ann Arbor? All these thoughts were racing my through my head. I couldn't make sense of anything. All my life I had felt safe. I lived in a safe town, and in a SAFE nation. We are under attack? this news reporters voice kept replaying in my mind. I had never really felt unsafe before. and now I didn't know what was going on. The next moment I remember was watching the towers fall, and turn into dust. I felt like I was watching a sci fi movie. In a matter of seconds 1000s, of people died. As a child it was hard to fathom how many people that was and what happening. It didn't take me long to realize that all dust was human remains. I began to feel sick and scared. As a kid you don't realize that adults get scared, I had never seen so many adults scared. Parents were pouring in picking up their kids, teachers were leaving to find their love ones. I realized on this day, that things would never be the same and I wasn't even sure if I would ever feel safe again.

Looking back now, 10 years later. I realized just how proud of this country I am. Ordinary people became heroes and did something extraordinary on that day,more than 6,294lives were saved , by average people. I have never been more proud to be an american than I was on this day.

God Bless America.

oxox
Kimmy

Ps- I saw rainbow while writing this. a sign a peace and hope? I most certainly think so.



No comments:

Post a Comment